Friday, December 10, 2010

HIV vaccine may reduce aid among the risk groups

Study finds drug every day reduces the risk of infection

A pill that is currently used for HIV infection can also reduce the risk of HIV infection in men at risk, according to results of a large clinical study.

Each year, more than 2.5 million people worldwide living with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS diagnosed. Despite progress in reducing the number of new infections continues to look for scientists to more effective strategies to halt the spread of HIV. Current prevention strategies based on behavioral changes, such as condoms, abstinence or fewer sexual partners.

Clinical trials

Some studies in animals and humans have shown that anti-retroviral drugs used today to treat HIV could also help prevent new infections. To test this idea has been called a clinical study of 11 sites in South America, South Africa, Thailand and the United States for life.

The study involved nearly 2,500 men who have sex with men. All participants were at least 18 years and HIV-negative at the time of registration. The road was from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)-sponsored, with additional funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

The men were randomized to receive a daily tablet containing two common anti-retroviral drugs (tenofovir and emtricitabine) or a placebo. Were evaluated every month for HIV infection. All condoms have been invited to safer sex practices and treatment of other sexually transmitted diseases. The average duration of schooling was 1.2 years.

Significant results

The results of the November 23, 2010, online edition of the New England Journal of Medicine report showed that the drug reduced the risk of contracting HIV infection by almost 44 percent. In particular, 36 infections occurred among the 1251 participants who were receiving antiretroviral therapy, compared with 64 HIV infections among the 1,248 people who received placebo.

The treatment was more effective for those that attached to the daily dose. Participants who took the drug for at least half the time were about 50 percent fewer HIV infections. Those who took the drug to 90 percent or more days of infection were almost 73 percent less.

The researchers note that their findings could be relevant to men who have sex with men. Further studies to investigate the effectiveness of the strategy in other groups, like women and heterosexual men.

"No one can be effective HIV prevention strategy for all," says NIAID Director Anthony S. Fauci. "More research is needed, but certainly this finding is important that the basis for research, development and implementation of this prevention strategy has the potential to have a significant impact in the fight against the offer HIV / AIDS."

2 comments:

  1. I am here to give my testimony about a doctor who help me in my life. I was infected with HIV virus in the 2012,i went to many hospitals, churches for cure but there was no solution out, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that i cannot loose my life, I lost everything I have my husband run away from me and also took my children along because of my sickness. One day I was in the river side thinking the next step to take if it is to jump into the river so that I can loose my life totally or just think where I can go to get solution. so a lady walk to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to him telling her my stories, she told me that she can help me out that’s the reason she normally come here to help people so that thy can be cured because she was into this problem before, she introduce me to a doctor who cast spells on people and gave me his number and email so i called him and also email him. He told me all the things I need to provide and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening he called me and told me that i should go for an HIV test and which i did as he told me and the result was negative. so if you are also heart brokened and also need a help you can also email him at dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com OR call +2349055637784

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago of HIV and have lived taking ARV and thought of having Herbal medicine to cure this disease completely. I wouldn't be able to bare Vomiting and my tongue go white because of these diseases called HIV/Aids. I learned to live with it but I have definitely prayed and had hands laid on me, My friends at work knew about my HIV Status so on a faithful day my friend Hannah talk to me about this great man called Dr Itua From west African because my friend Hannah is from West African too she came to acquire degree here in South Carolina, I accepted the challenge and contacted Dr Itua Herbal Center...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com also chat on Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967. Then he delivered his Herbal medicine to me which was labeled as Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cure For HIV/Aids, I took it as he instructed after two weeks I went to test and I was tested Negative. I'm still writing on every blog site related to the following diseases such as HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus, Shingles, Hepatitis B/C, Because he cures this kind of diseases.

    ReplyDelete